The Women's Voices Now (WVN) Online Film Festival is for films and filmmakers interested in exposure and advocacy, and teaming up with WVN to have your films seen around the world. Films must be about women’s social, economic, and political issues. Films by women and men are accepted into the festival. Submissions will open on October 17th, 2016. If you have already read the important details below, please proceed to our online application, on our Film Freeway page. Submitting your film to our festival means that you agree to our RULES & REGULATIONS and LICENSING AGREEMENT.
Participating in the WVN online film festival means you agree to the following mandatory conditions:
1. Your film is viewable on our website for the duration of our online film festival (March 8 - April 5 2017), without password protection and for the purpose of judging.
2. You provide a digital, high resolution screening copy of your film to WVN. Your submission is INCOMPLETE unless we have this copy. WVN will not replicate, duplicate, sell, or make profit off of your film.
3. You agree to give WVN non-exclusive rights to your film for the purpose of advocating, screening, and curating educational screening packages that include your film, and will be available to communities and educational institutions FREE of charge for the purpose of promoting your cause/activism/etc.
4. You choose whether or not you wish for your film to exist in our website archives for international online viewing.
Our criteria include the following:
· Films of any length (shorts and features).
· Films which are in English or suitably subtitled in English (films originally produced in regional languages are welcome).
· Multiple submissions are welcome ($20/submission).
· Entries for selection are required to be sent as a high resolution, screening quality digital upload (H264 or Apple ProRes422 codecs appreciated).
Films must explore one or more of the following issues:
Political representation, Justice in the legal system, Portrayals of violence against women, Leadership and advocacy, Harmful and controlling cultural practices, Economic empowerment, Equal education opportunities, Challenging media stereotypes, Women’s sexuality, Healthy partnerships and relationships, Reproductive health, Matriarchal societies
The Women's Voices Now Online Film Festival accepts entries via FilmFreeway.com. Click the button to submit with FilmFreeway.
- E-MAIL firstname.lastname@example.org FOR QUESTIONS
Film Submissions and Timeline (2017)
- SUBMISSIONS OPEN OCTOBER 17, 2016, 9AM PST
- SUBMISSIONS CLOSE FEBRUARY 6, 2017, 11:59PM PST
- OFFICIAL SELECTIONS NOTIFIED BY FEBRUARY 10, 2017
- WORLDWIDE ONLINE FILM FESTIVAL: MARCH 8- APRIL 5, 2017
- AWARD WINNERS NOTIFIED BY APRIL 12, 2017, 11:59PM PST
Festival and Media Partners
Moonfaze is a groundbreaking independent film festival showcasing works from feminist filmmakers from around the globe.
Short Films Africa is an initiative aimed at enhancing the experience of short film lovers in Africa and improving the odds for upcoming African film makers who want to show their creativity through short films.
Her Film Project: A global initiative to support women and girls behind the camera, on screen, and behind the scenes, and to encourage film inclusion in all its forms.
InkTip: Where producers go for scripts and writers. Producers have made more than 200 films from scripts and writers they found through InkTip.
International Women's Film Festival Network:The Network strives to amplify the visibility of women filmmakers, more prominently showcase their work across the globe, and demonstrate that audiences attend films about women and girls.
Women Making Films – India: Women Making Films (WMF) is a not-for-profit community that strives to provide a platform for female filmmakers globally, to network, collaborate and create works of audio-visual medium.
WVN hopes that these films inspire viewers to join in solidarity in the fight against injustices in the world, among our nations and within families, and to recognize the full potential of women, and to create greater dignity for all.
Women’s Voices Now seeks to amplify the voices of all women. We believe in the power of free expression to realize the aspirations of women's rights. At Women’s Voices Now, we look for compelling films in the student, documentary, narrative, and experimental genres that push boundaries and subvert expectations. We are looking for films that are relevant to our global community and which tell unique stories and amplify voices of women from around the world. We judge all film submissions based on relevance of subject matter to our film festival call, strength of a film’s storytelling (use of structure and image to communicate a compelling story) and the technical aspects of filmmaking. All films in any language other than English are encouraged to submit, however, those films must include English language subtitles.
If you have any questions regarding WVN’s online film festival, or are interested in becoming a partner, please write to the WVN Film Festival Team at email@example.com.