Film Editor Volunteer Position
Women’s Voices Now (WVN) uses film to drive positive social change that advances girls’ and women’s rights globally.
Girls’ Voices Now empowers girls and femme-identifying youth from under-resourced communities to find, develop, and use their voice for positive social change through filmmaking. This program will be provided virtually with potential in-person components.
Volunteer Role Description:
We are seeking EDITORS to support our young filmmakers in editing their short social-change documentary films this summer. The role of the Editors is to work in alignment with their assigned youth filmmaking team to help them realize their vision for their film. Editors will:
Support youth filmmaking team in editing their short documentary.
- Meet virtually with youth to hear about their project, vision for their film, and receive editing notes.
Editors will help lead in 1 – 3 collaborative virtual editing sessions, to build youth participants’ understanding of editing software and process.
Edit films independently, in alignment with youth notes & feedback.
- Editors will independently edit films, in accordance with youth notes & feedback, and provide rough cuts for at least 3 rounds of revisions.
Help create a positive, collaborative, inclusive, and professional environment.
- Ensure that each participant feels heard, comfortable, and included in the process.
- Bring the positive energy!
- Experience in film editing required – background in documentary film editing is a plus.
- Must have access to a computer with a camera for virtual conversations, as well as editing software.
- Must be familiar with the process of creating SRT files, and delivering various forms of film formats.
- Must be able to improvise and maintain a positive and approachable attitude.
- Must be able and willing to adhere to policies outlined by Women’s Voices Now, maintaining professional boundaries with all youth.
Schedule & additional information:
- We will be in need of editing support starting the week of July 26th. While the program ends on August 6th, we realize that it may not be possible to have a final cut by this date. Our hope is that editors will accompany the entire editing process until a final cut is achieved, even if this spans past the end of the program.
- All volunteers will be subject to a background check.
- The volunteer role will be remote.
Interested? Please share your resume with Director of Programs & Partnerships, Ariane Thielenhaus, at [email protected] with subject: Editing Volunteer.