Media Chaperone Volunteer Position
Women’s Voices Now (WVN) uses film to drive positive social change that advances girls’ and women’s rights globally.
Girls’ Voices Now empowers girls and femme-identifying youth from under-resourced communities to find, develop, and use their voice for positive social change through filmmaking. This program will be provided virtually with potential in-person components.
Volunteer Role Description:
The role of the Media Chaperone is to mentor, support, and help coordinate a production team of 4-5 youth filmmakers, as they develop, shoot, and produce a short social-change documentary. Media Chaperones will:
Support filmmaking team in making a short documentary
- Support youth through each phase of the production process, assisting youth in coordinating shoot schedules, developing interview questions, outlining concepts and more.
- Share relevant personal and professional experiences and insights with participants.
Provide individualized & group mentorship and support
- Ensure that each participant feels heard, comfortable, and included in the process.
- Act as mentor and confidante to participants, addressing concerns or issues as they arise.
Help create a positive, collaborative, inclusive, and professional environment
- Facilitate collaborative decision-making processes for the production team.
- Help to address conflicts; escalate issues to Programs Director and Media Instructor as needed.
- Serve as a role model for participants, demonstrating professionalism & timeliness
- Experience in filmmaking required – background in documentary filmmaking is a big plus.
- Must have access to a computer with a camera for virtual conversations.
- Must be able to improvise and maintain a positive and approachable attitude.
- Must be able and willing to adhere to policies outlined by Women’s Voices Now, maintaining professional boundaries with all youth.
Schedule & additional information:
- The time commitment will be:
- 2-3 hours of prep & training ahead of the program start on July 5th
- 4 – 6 hours per week, during weeks 2 – 5 of the program (July 12 – August 6th)
- Additionally, Media Chaperones will assist their teams during shoot days, July 24 – 25th.
- All Media Chaperones will be subject to a background check.
- The volunteer role will be mostly remote. However, should we be able to host aspects of our program in person, while meeting all COVID-19 guidelines safely, Media Chaperones may be asked to support in person.
Interested? Please share your resume and a bit about you with Director of Programs & Partnerships, Ariane Thielenhaus, at firstname.lastname@example.org using subject: Media Chaperone Volunteer Opportunity.