Effective Date: December 11, 2020
Women’s Voices Now (“Women’s Voices Now” or “we”) is a non-profit organization that uses film to drive positive social change that advances women’s and girls’ rights.
- What Personal Information is Collected?
We may collect the following Personal Information when you visit or use the Website or the Services.
- Personal Information that You Provide to Us
Women’s Voices Now collects Personal Information that is voluntarily provided by you. This may happen in several ways.
- Sign Up for Communications. You may provide us with Personal Information when you sign up for the Women’s Voices Now newsletter. Such information may include your name and your email address.
- Contact Us. You may provide us with Personal Information when you contact us with questions and requests for programming or when you fill out our Google forms to submit films to our archive. Such information may include your name and email address.
- Donate. You may provide us with Personal Information when you donate. Such information may include your name, email address, credit card information, and postal address.
- Watch films in our archive. You may provide your Personal Information when you watch films in our archive. Such information may include your email address.
- Submit a film for our archive. You may provide your Personal Information when you submit your film for our archive. Such information may include your name, email address, country of origin, and photo.
- Apply to the Girls’ Voices Now program. You may provide us with your Personal Information when you apply for this program. Such information may include your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, photo, parent/guardian name, parent/guardian phone number, name of high school, and grade level.
- Host a Screening. You may provide us with your Personal Information when you express interest in hosting a screening using films from the WVN Archive. Such information may include your name, email address, and the name of your organization/company.
- Sign Up for Events. You may provide us with Personal Information when you sign up for our events, such as workshops, either through our Website or through our service providers. Such information may include your name, postal address, email address, credit card information, and date of birth.
- Information Automatically Collected by Women’s Voices Now
If you visit the Website, Women’s Voices Now may automatically collect certain information such as:
- device type;
- IP address;
- the activity of your browser when you are viewing the Website;
- your site path during your visit to the Website;
- geographic data;
- demographic data; and
- the amount of time you spend on the Website.
How Do We Use Personal Information?
We may use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to administer and provide the Website and the Services;
- to provide the Women’s Voices Now newsletter and communications (including in relation to our fundraising campaigns);
- to contact you in response to your inquiries, comments and suggestions;
- to allow you to make donations;
- to manage our business, including performing accounting, auditing, and other internal functions;
- to organize and manage our events;
- to comply with applicable laws and regulatory requirements, or as requested by government or regulatory authorities;
- in connection with pending litigation;
- to detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- to protect and defend the rights or property of Women’s Voices Now;
- to improve the Website and the Services, and to help Women’s Voices Now understand how users are using the Services; and
- for tracking and analytics purposes described in the “Third Party Analytics Providers; Google Analytics” section below.
How Do We Share Personal Information?
We may share your Personal Information with the following third parties:
- with our vendors and service providers who are providing services on our behalf (such as MyEmma, MailChimp, Vimeo, WordPress, Eventbrite, Stripe and others); and
- with third parties in connection with the uses described in Section III above, such as with government or regulatory authorities in order to comply with laws.
Unless we have obtained your prior consent, Women’s Voices Now does not share your Personal Information with third parties for their own marketing purposes.
- Email Communications
If you are signed up to receive newsletters or to other mailing lists from Women’s Voices Now, you may, at any time, inform us that you do not want Women’s Voices Now to send you such communications by (i) opting-out using the link in the bottom of each email or (ii) by replying to the email and requesting that you be removed from the email list. After opting-out, you will no longer receive the mailing list from which you opted out.
- Review and Correction of Personal Information
You may review, correct, and update certain Personal Information by contacting us through the “Contact Us” section below.
- Safeguarding your Information
Women’s Voices Now is committed to maintaining the security of the data you provide us. We use security controls to help protect against unauthorized access and use of your Personal Information in our custody or control. While we are focused on the security of your Personal Information, you must remember that the Internet is a global communications vehicle open to threats, viruses, and intrusions from others. For this reason, Women’s Voices Now cannot promise, and you should not expect, that we will be able to protect your Personal Information at all times and in all circumstances. Women’s Voices Now cannot guarantee the security and privacy of transmissions via the Internet, and we will not be liable for any lack of security relating to the Website or the use of the Services by you. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Women’s Voices Now shall not be liable for any damages resulting from any loss of privacy or security occurring in connection with any such communications, except to the extent arising from the gross negligence or willful misconduct of Women’s Voices Now.
- Third Party Analytics Providers; Google Analytics
- Do Not Track Disclosure
Certain web browsers may provide an option by which you may ask your browser to inform websites you visit that you do not wish your activities to be tracked by cookies or other persistent identifiers, commonly called “Do Not Track Signals.” Because there is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret web browser-based DNT signals, the Website does not respond to Do Not Track Signals.
- Third Party Analytics Providers; Google Analytics
We work with third party analytics service providers, including but not limited to Google Analytics and Hotjar, to help us better understand how our users use the Website. As a result, these third parties may collect certain information from you about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use the Website.
We use Google Analytics to learn more about the types of users that visit the Website and to help improve the Website. Google Analytics provides us with certain data regarding the demographics of the users that visit the Website and their activities on the Website. To provide this service, Google Analytics may collect certain information about you from your computer, including but not limited to: information regarding your visit (such as the pages you visit and the length of your visit), information about your device (such as your IP address), how you got to the website, and other information about you. You can learn more about Google Analytics and how it collects and processes data (including how to control the information sent to Google) by visiting: www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
You can opt-out of Google Analytics by using the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
The Website may contain links to websites owned by other companies. In addition, in certain cases, you may be redirected to websites owned by other companies. Because Women’s Voices Now has no control over the privacy and security practices or content of these third party sites, we recommend that you carefully review the privacy statement of each website you visit. Women’s Voices Now is not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices of websites owned by other companies.
We do not seek to, nor do we knowingly collect, information from children under the age of 16 (other than in the case of individuals between the ages of 14-18 in connection with their submission of an application for, and participation in, our youth program, Girls’ Voices Now; or for their film submission to, and participation in, our film festival). If a child has provided us with Personal Information, a parent or guardian of that child may contact us to have the information deleted from our records. To do so, contact Women’s Voices Now through the information provided below in the “Contact Us” section.
By Postal Mail:
46-E Peninsula Center
Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274
By E-mail: [email protected]
By Phone: +1 (424) 247-6130
XII. Individuals Located in the EU – Additional Information
- Purpose and legal basis for processing
Women’s Voices Now is the controller and responsible for the processing of your Personal Information. When we use your Personal Information for the purposes described in the “Use and Sharing of Information” section above, the legal basis for the processing is as follows:
- Except as otherwise set out below, the legal basis we rely on to process any Personal Information is article 6(1)(f) of the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), which allows us to process Personal Information when it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests. We believe we have a legitimate interest in conducting the activities necessary to supporting our mission as a non-profit organization. In doing so, we considered your rights and expectations and have assessed that your interest, fundamental rights and freedoms are not put at risk. When we collect and process your Personal Information based on legitimate interest, you have specific rights (see Section XII(4) below for more information in that regard).
- If we process Personal Information for the purpose of complying with laws and regulations, the legal basis we rely on to process your Personal Information is article 6(1)(c), which allows us to process Personal Information when it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
- If we ask for, and you provide, your consent before we process any Personal Information for a specified purpose, the legal basis we rely on to process your Personal Information is article 6(1)(a), which allows us to process Personal Information when an individual has consented to the processing for a specified purpose. This is the case, for instance, when you sign-up to our newsletter.
- Retention of Personal Information
We will only retain your Personal Information for as long as is reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements. We may retain your Personal Information for a longer period in the event of a complaint or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation in respect to our relationship with you.
To determine the appropriate retention period for Personal Information, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the Personal Information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your Personal Information, the purposes for which we process your Personal Information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or other requirements.
- Data Transfers
The Personal Information that we collect about you may be transferred to, and / or stored at, one or more countries outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). In such cases, we will take appropriate steps to ensure an adequate level of data protection in the country of the recipient as required under the GDPR. If we cannot ensure such an adequate level of data protection, your personal data will only be transferred outside the EEA if you have given your prior consent to the transfer.
- Additional rights
- The right to request access to your Personal Information. There are some exemptions to the right of access, which means you may not always receive access to all of the Personal Information that we process.
- The right to request correction of your Personal Information.
- The right to request erasure of your Personal Information.
- The right to object to processing of your Personal Information (for instance when we process your Personal Information based on our legitimate interests).
- The right to request restriction of processing your Personal Information.
- The right to Request transfer of your Personal Information. This right only applies when we are processing information based on your consent or under, or in talks about entering into, a contract and the processing is automated.
- The right to withdraw consent, where we have asked for and you have given your consent to our processing of your Personal Information. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain or services to you.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us through the “Contact Us” section above.
You also have the right to make a complaint to the applicable EU data protection supervisory authority about the manner in which we process your Personal Information. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the supervisory authority, so please contact us in the first instance through the “Contact Us” section above.