Women’s Voices Now (WVN) uses film to drive positive social change that advances girls’ and women’s rights globally.
Programs Internship – The Women’s Voices Now Programs Intern will report to the Director of Programs & Partnerships, and will support the Director in coordinating, planning, and implementing core Women’s Voices Now programs. The intern’s primary project will be to help in preparing for and supporting the execution of the Girls’ Voices Now Youth Program. This is a paid internship.
Girls’ Voices Now empowers girls and femme-identifying youth from low-income and untapped communities to find, develop, and use their voice for positive social change through filmmaking. This program will be provided virtually with potential in-person components.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Developing program materials. In close collaboration with their supervisor, the intern will review past program materials, updating them for the 2021 program. The intern may also support in updating and developing the program curriculum, as well as creating additional materials for the 2021 program – including a welcome packet, surveys, and orientation guide.
- Liaising with guest speakers, volunteers & partners. The Programs Intern will help research, identify, and liaise with potential speakers, volunteers, and partners for the Girls’ Voices Now program, including prominent individuals within film, social impact, and women’s rights.
- Assisting staff in key aspects of program preparation & implementation. The Programs Intern will participate in and assist with Girls’ Voices Now program activities; ranging from introducing guest speakers, interacting with program participants, supporting program staff, and guiding participants in certain program activities.
- Contributing to strategic development of the program. The Programs Intern will have the unique opportunity to contribute to the evaluation and strategic development of the Girls’ Voices Now program. The intern will provide input on opportunities to increase impact and visibility of the program. They may also contribute to evaluation efforts by reviewing data & stakeholder input, and highlighting key opportunities and challenges.
- Supporting event logistics & coordination for film screening. Depending on timeline, the Programs Intern will contribute to the planning and coordination of the Girls’ Voices Now premiere public screening event, which will take place virtually or in person, depending on COVID guidelines. Tasks may include performing outreach and marketing to boost event visibility and developing necessary communications materials.
- Fulfill additional tasks related to Girls’ Voices Now & other programs. The intern will complete additional administrative tasks related to the program, as assigned. The intern may also support tasks related to the online Film Collection & Film Festival, such as updating film information and reviewing films for consistency.
- Collaborate & actively participate in Women’s Voices Now team. The intern will also participate in some team meetings and communicate with other staff members, as needed. The intern will participate in weekly or bi-weekly check-ins with their supervisor, as well as a mid-internship and end-of internship review to discuss performance, strengths, areas for growth, and professional development.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will be able to fulfill the following qualifications:
- First and foremost, the intern should be passionate about women’s and girls’ rights, and believe in the power of film to effect social change.
- Ability to proficiently and fluently navigate basic computer tasks is required (emailing, typing, etc.)
- Ability to professionally communicate and represent Women’s Voices Now to external audiences is required.
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and ask questions when unsure is a must.
- Ability to be flexible, adapt, and “roll with the punches” with a positive attitude is a must.
- Desire to be a part of a small, close-knit, and passionate team, working collaboratively at all times, is a must.
- Prior experience in social services, working with youth, event planning, and/or project management is a plus.
- A background or passion for filmmaking is a plus.
- Ability to write, speak, and translate to/from Spanish is a plus.
Requirements: Due to internship program requirements, only individuals who meet the following requirements will be eligible for the internship:
- Taking at least 1 class at a four-year or community college
- Residing in or attend school in Los Angeles County
- If graduating, must be between May 1 – December 1, 2021
- Not have a prior BA, BS, or higher degree
To learn more about the program please visit the LA County Arts Internship Program website.
Compensation: The intern will be paid $6,000 ($15.00/hour) for the 400-hour internship.
Schedule & additional information:
- The intern will work between 15 – 20 hours a week from June through October/November.
- The internship will be mostly remote. However, should we be able to host aspects of our 2021 Girls’ Voices Now program in person, while meeting all COVID-19 guidelines safely, the intern will be on-site during these times.
Interested in applying? Send a resume and cover letter to Director of Programs & Partnerships, Ariane Thielenhaus at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: Programs Internship Application.