Women’s Voices Now (WVN), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, connects filmmakers, activists, and decision makers dedicated to guaranteeing women’s and girls’ full access to their political, economic, and civil rights.
WVN promotes, produces, and shares social-change films that move audiences from empathy to action on women’s and girls’ rights issues, bridging the gap between filmmakers and agents of social change. In doing so, WVN has established itself as an internationally recognized advocate for the equality and dignity of women and girls, worldwide.
SHIFTING CULTURE, CHANGING LIVES
We envision a global culture shift in which communities purposefully support the consistent advancement of women and girls, beyond political quotas and economic incentives.
Since 2017, we hold special consultative status to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). Our work is internationally recognized as impacting six of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs): Good health and well-being (SDG 3); Quality education (SDG 4); Gender equality (SDG 5); Reduced inequalities (SDG 10); Peace, justice and strong institutions (SDG 16); Partnerships for the goals (SDG 17).
Statements Submitted to ECOSOC:
Commission on the Status of Women 62, March 2018
WHY WOMEN’S AND GIRLS’ RIGHTS?
- Globally there has been major progress for women, with literacy, life expectancy, and pay at or close to historic highs.
- Laws are changing, and economic gains of bringing more women into the workplace are understood, yet huge disparities persist, especially in developing countries.
- Violence against women and girls remains a global pandemic with an estimated 35 percent of women having experienced either physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence or sexual violence at some point in their lives (UN Women).
- Women’s rights are susceptible to regression and backlash.
- Underlying culture remains a major obstacle to the full realization of women’s and girls’ rights.
To ensure long-lasting change for women and girls that is strong enough to sustain economic, political, social, and climate crises, we work to shift culture by tackling deeply-rooted stereotypes and beliefs.
We do so by seeking out independent filmmakers, around the world, who use their skills and passion to share stories that advocate for women’s and girls’ rights.
Convinced that social-change film is one of the best available tools to catalyze the shift we seek, we use the universal language of film to raise awareness and spark change in the hearts and minds of audience members.
Together we can combat the obstacles to women’s and girls’ rights by hearing Women’s Voices Now!
We Believe, Support, and Promote…
- that the equality of every human being is innate and immutable and that women are entitled to equal rights and free expression.
- that no faith, religion, race, or culture is a basis for one group to claim to be and act superior to another group and that adherents of all faiths have the right to practice, their personal beliefs without fear of persecution.
- that the only acceptable intolerance is that which is directed towards intolerance itself.
- that violence, or the incitement thereto, is never an acceptable response to the free expression of critical thinking, alternative views, peaceful protests, opposing media, literature, and discussion.
- that amplifying women’s voices—and those of the men who support women’s rights—is a guaranteed way to contribute to a more equitable and just world and we invite all those who share our vision, beliefs, and goals to join us.